Saturday, October 2, 2010

Vegetable Co-op

So, we recently joined a Vegetable Co-op in our area.  We love it! We paid less then we would for regular grocery store produce but it's all organic and much better produce.  This one is every other week and we only started out at $20.  I don't think you would want to account for all your fruits and vegetables this way since there are certain things you want for certain recipes but it accounts for a good amount.  There were 9 other people that contributed and they buy in bulk.  They send out a list a few days before ordering and you tell them what your likes/wants or dislikes are.  I think we will do $30. next time but were really happy with what we got. One person picks up all the produce from the trucks then divides it up.  Then you pick it up from them.  People take turns sorting and you get a credit for doing so. This time we got Green Beans, Grapes, Green Squash, Yellow Squash, Oranges, a bag of Apples, Lettuce, Tomatoes, half a Watermelon, Starfruit & Bananas.  If you have the option in your area to get into one I highly recommend it!!!
We've been spending a lot of time outside lately. The other day Stella and I took a walk at a local park to look for pine cones.  The humidity is pretty much gone and it is one of my favorite times of the year.  It never used to be growing up in Seattle.   I hated Fall, living in Seattle it meant Summer was over.  I love Summer.  It's different in Florida.  It warms up to about 80 during the days and 50's to 60's in the evenings.  You can turn your AC off and don't need the heat yet.  I've been putting on jeans and a long sleeve in the morning but by 10 or 11ish I'm sweating. October also means the holidays are just around the corner.  The holidays are better after you have your own kids.  It's so fun to see it all again through a child's eyes.  Show her all the little things I looked forward to about the holidays and make memories that she will want to share with her kids someday. 




Around our house it certainly feels like Fall though.  I got all of our Halloween/Fall decorations out last week and decorated.  Lot's of the color Orange and pumpkins around here!  I stocked up on my scented candles...warm apple pie, pumpkin, evergreen, mulled cider & cinnamon roll. It feels so cozy in the evenings and smells so good in here. I may even bust out an actual Apple Pie with our apples from the co-op!
Yesterday Mario went into Stella's room where she was playing. She had an Easter basket from her closet and was putting things in it.  When he walked in she held it up and said "Trick or Treat Daddy".  Neither of us have taught her that so I think she picked it up from one of her Halloween books we've been reading. It was so cute.




Next week we are taking one last Summer beach trip.  Instead of Panama we are going to Daytona Beach.  We are so ready for a few days of pool, beach, rest & relaxation. 
Bye bye Summer, see ya next year! :)


No comments: