Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Yummy yummy Christmas Cookies

I've been fighting a head cold for a few days now and I woke up this morning on the losing end. I would like to crawl back in the warm bed and take a sick day. You know, sleep, movie, sleep, bath, book, more sleep. With a 2 year old you can still do all of these things although it will look a little different then I was envisioning. The sleep will be one nap instead of 3 (hopefully) when she goes down, the movie will involve a fairy, princess or barbie. The bath will include lots of squirt toys and boats and the book will be something along the lines of Guess How Much I Love You or Fancy Nancy's Spendiferous Christmas.  As much as the first option sounds more heavenly right now I do recognize it could be worse...much worse.  I could be warming the car up, putting our coats and hats on and heading to work and daycare. So, I will gladly take a sick day with my best bud any time. Although I may have to throw a little baking in there because lately the only time I really feel warm is when the oven is on. No matter what the thermostat is set to.

We've been doing a lot of Christmas cookie baking lately.  Sunday we made Peanut Blossoms and Chocolate Glaze Cookies.  I'm sure everyone is familiar with Peanut Blossoms but if you have never made the Chocolate Glaze Cookies you really should.  Their lackluster name does NOT do them justice.  These have always been my favorite in my Mom's Christmas cookie repertoire. 

Chocolate Glaze Cookies

2 1/2 Cups Flour
3/4 tsp Salt
1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Cinnamon
2 Eggs
1 tsp Vanilla
1 Cup Sugar
3/4 Cup Cooking Oil

Pre heat oven to 375.  Place flour, baking powder, salt & cinnamon in bowl.  Combine eggs, vanilla, sugar and oil in separate bowl.  Beat well.  Shape dough into 1/2 inch balls.  Flatten with floured glass.  Bake on greased cookie sheet 10-12 minutes.  Glaze with melted chocolate chips.  I make mine with a heavy chocolate glaze. :)

              OK, so the cookies don't call for Monster but when on a cookie baking run it really helps in the home stretch... :)              
  
I think she likes them.

Chocolate Glaze Cookies

Peanut Blossoms

The Peanut Blossoms are pretty common but just in case you have a craving to make them and don't have the recipe handy here you go...

Peanut Blossoms

1 3/4 Cup Flower
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 Cup Butter or Margarine
1/2 Cup Peanut Butter
1/2 Cup Sugar
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
1 Egg
2 Tbsp.
2 Tbsp. Milk
1/2 tsp. Vanilla

Mix first 3 ingredients.  Cream together next 4 ingredients and add to flour mixture.  Mix the next 3 ingredients together and add to above mixture.  Shape into balls and roll in sugar.
Place on ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake at 350 for 8 minutes.  Remove sheet and press Hershey's kiss in center. 

I've frozen the 3 kinds we've made so far and hopefully they will last for the next 2 weeks. I've already warned Mario & Aubrey to stay out of them BUT that is not who I'm worried about.  I used to be the one to sneak some out of my Mom's stash. Some things never change... :)

No comments: