Friday, February 13, 2009

A few winter recipes...

I thought I would share a few REALLY easy and good recipes that Mario's mom gave me from some of his relatives...

This first one is so simple but SOOOOO good. From just seeing the ingredients you wouldn't guess how good it really is. It is a great recipe for all of you stuck in the cold weather! I used ranch style beans with jalapenos in them and it really gave it a kick. Mario's mom puts some hot sauce in hers, you could also use the spicier rotel tomato's. Depends on if your kids are eating it also. I think it is good with a spicy kick to it. Really you HAVE to try it, you'll be pleasantly surprised!

Aunt B's Soup

1 lb ground sirloin, cooked
2 cans Rotel tomato's
2 cans Ranch style beans (black label with white lettering)
2 cans Progresso Minestrone

Combine all ingredients and let simmer for about 30 minutes.

This second one I wasn't so sure about before I made it, but it is a crowd pleaser. Mario loves it and it is super easy. His mom got it from his grandma.

Porcupine Balls

1/2 cup rice uncooked
1 lb ground beef
1/2 Tsp salt/pepper
2 Tbsp green onion
2 Tbsp oil (I use olive)
1 can Tomato soup
1 can water

Combine everything, except for soup and water. Mix together and make meatballs. It calls for 12 meatballs but sometimes I make them smaller, sometimes bigger so the # differs. Brown the meatballs in oil. Mix soup and water and add to meatballs. Cook an hour and a half on simmer. I use our electric skillet. Most of the sauce will boil down and get soaked up by the meatballs but I pour the rest over them before serving.

Ok so neither of them are probably the best if you are really super health conscious but they are both quick, easy and good so I thought I would share!

No comments: